My Ownership Log: MG4 Trophy

Well, if you have been wondering why I have been quiet, it is because I just can't find anything wrong with the car.

I have really tried, we have done 350 miles now so really several parts should have exploded and fallen off by now and I should have been to the dealer half a dozen times, but no, sadly there's nothing much to report. 🤣

It is a cracking car, we love it.

Well, if you have been wondering why I have been quiet, it is because I just can't find anything wrong with the car.

I have really tried, we have done 350 miles now so really several parts should have exploded and fallen off by now and I should have been to the dealer half a dozen times, but no, sadly there's nothing much to report. 🤣

It is a cracking car, we love it.
That's good to hear especially as mine is waiting for transportation from the docks...
...and before anyone asks, it's the docks at Bristol :)

Minor update, this morning (at 600 miles) when I got in the car I had a blank head unit and two errors: auto-hold fault and LKA fault. I rebooted the head unit and it sprung to life. Could this be why there were errors?

Did a short journey and discovered when I parked that I hadn't shut charge flap properly. Could this be related?

When I got back in the car later, everything is working again.

Yesterday was a long run in the rain so possibly I have binding brakes for the auto-hold fault (if not properly lubricated), but could just have been the head unit not starting up properly.

Anyone had similar?

(I will keep this thread updated from time to time as an ownership log).
Edit: have renamed the thread.

Last edited:
LKA fault I've only had when the windscreen camera has been blocked (from memory). I have had the auto-hold fault before but it didn't affect driving - next time back to the car all was OK.

I've had the displays been slow to start but have never had them blank.

LKA fault I've only had when the windscreen camera has been blocked (from memory). I have had the auto-hold fault before but it didn't affect driving - next time back to the car all was OK.

I've had the displays been slow to start but have never had them blank.
The windscreen was wet when I got in, so maybe that was it. Might be a neat way to disable LKA without going to the menus? 🤣

The display did nothing until I rebooted it, although the buttons below were working.

The only other issue at the moment is Apple Car Play which tends to disconnect and reconnect every so often. It is pretty quick to reconnect, happens once or twice on a 2 hour journey.

Ok so here's my brief report for 2000 miles in.

first day was fine, picked up early Feb.
Really impressed with first drive, and lots of screen settings to get used too, car paired ok with the app and has been all good since.
Day 2, had breather oil mist on the undertray, and a drip on the drive. as this was a weekend, mg luscombes couldnt do much as their service department was not open. The service department rang me first thing monday and arranged a booking. I have now been a little dissapointed that this was to just confirm the leak, and another booking has had to be made when the part arrived (this should be fitted on the 27th march).

Apart from the oil breather fault, there is an occasional ecall failure, and the occasional phone bluetooth pairing failure.
There was also a couple of warnings in the snow and ice, but these happen due to the front screen camera sensor. this also happens on every other new car ive driven. Fords being exceptionally bad in my opinion.
There is one thing that does annoy me more than anything, that is the wiper blades and the washer jets. The wiper blades always leave a screen rub in the centre of my vision, have cleaned the blades, screen etc. the washer jets have no power at all, and any adjusted is pure lottery on mine.

Theres a couple of quirks I would have liked sorting out with software updates.
The LKA to have a permenant memory of your choice (done to death on here).
Also an easier method to change the level of regen braking.
I have now got used to these couple of clicks when I first get into the car.

The car itself rides, handles and accelerates very well indeed (sold my Bmw x1 to change).
for people who have an issue with the tyres sliding, I believe these get much better after 500-800 miles, as mine did. I do agree they could give a little more feedback, but overall on the good side.
The braking is not as good as previous bmw though, when having to stop sharply!
The build fit and finish is very good, and comparable to the bmw.
Seating is very comfy on long trips, can easily do 100 miles plus.
Charging just works as it should on both home, work, rapid chargers(100kw on a macdonalds).
The V2L also is more of a useful tool too, as I used an adapter to power garden tools.

So overall, i am really pleased and enjoying the car immensely. Especially as in the last few days now the weather is warmer my consumption has gone from 3.4/3.5 to 3.9/4 on my usual commute of 40 miles per day on A1/m62.

Ok so here's my brief report for 2000 miles in.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
There is one thing that does annoy me more than anything, that is the wiper blades and the washer jets. The wiper blades always leave a screen rub in the centre of my vision, have cleaned the blades, screen etc. the washer jets have no power at all, and any adjusted is pure lottery on mine.
You may want to read this thread, it has details of replacement Bosch wiper blades that are much better:

Minor update, this morning (at 600 miles) when I got in the car I had a blank head unit and two errors: auto-hold fault and LKA fault. I rebooted the head unit and it sprung to life. Could this be why there were errors?
Yes. When you are rebooting the head unit, you should get the very same errors as well. They will disappear, as soon as the head unit has started up correctly.

The factory wipers are crap. Mine did exactly the same thing as yours, they left a big trail/rub right in front of me. The dealer replaced them under warranty, but the new ones (obviously from the same supplier) are just as bad. I will change them for the Bosch ones everyone recommends here.

Yes. When you are rebooting the head unit, you should get the very same errors as well. They will disappear, as soon as the head unit has started up correctly.

The factory wipers are crap. Mine did exactly the same thing as yours, they left a big trail/rub right in front of me. The dealer replaced them under warranty, but the new ones (obviously from the same supplier) are just as bad. I will change them for the Bosch ones everyone recommends here.
I hate to say it " but I told you so" 💁‍♂️

The only other issue at the moment is Apple Car Play which tends to disconnect and reconnect every so often. It is pretty quick to reconnect, happens once or twice on a 2 hour journey.
This also happens on mine but I think it may be caused by lack of mobile phone signal, once I'm away from our village where we have very little signal it settles down and works fine.

Picked our Red trophy up yesterday that was ordered on 29th sept and as expected, out pcp went UP by £5 ( not too bad) , however we did get an uplift of £300 on our PX which covers this anlease a bit over.
On the slight downside, when we ordered ours the new owners were getting Type 2 cables and not Granny chargers, hoping we would get a type 2 , Unfortunately not :(.
It is a really nice drive, the suspension setup is great for our roads with the dips , bumps and slightly sinking potholes.
You should of asked for a type 2 . I had already bought a granny , told my dealer and they swapped it for a type 2 .

I've used my granny lead once (in "anger", the other time was just to test it actually worked). I arrived at my destination at ~2pm with 47% SoC, plugged in and when I left the next morning at ~11am the car was fully charged. :)

1 month in, 800 miles

Foxy continues to delight us, we have done several long runs in the last two weeks and the range has been better than expected and is improving as things warm up.

Nothing has gone wrong, she stubbornly refuses to exhibit the standard MG4 fault list. All we have to complain about are the usual needing to turn off LKA/Speed limit sign display and the occasional CarPlay disconnect/reconnect. LKA is never a problem really but we have a lot of rural lanes down here which confuses her and the gentle tugs at the wheel get annoying.

Driving her remains a joy, we just love it and going away for a week the boot takes more than we expected, especially with the seats down.

Pretty boring update, sorry, but stay tuned!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back