My Ownership Log: MG4 Trophy

1 month in, 800 miles

Foxy continues to delight us, we have done several long runs in the last two weeks and the range has been better than expected and is improving as things warm up.

Nothing has gone wrong, she stubbornly refuses to exhibit the standard MG4 fault list. All we have to complain about are the usual needing to turn off LKA/Speed limit sign display and the occasional CarPlay disconnect/reconnect. LKA is never a problem really but we have a lot of rural lanes down here which confuses her and the gentle tugs at the wheel get annoying.

Driving her remains a joy, we just love it and going away for a week the boot takes more than we expected, especially with the seats down.

Pretty boring update, sorry, but stay tuned!
Pretty much my experience as well. Especially the Joy To Drive. Because it really is.

2 months in, 1900 miles

Foxy continues to be faultless and a great drive. We feel properly used to her now.

Having done quite a few long trips we are used to rapid charging and are really enjoying the 135kW+ charge rate. Hasn't yet felt like we're waiting for the car: by the time we have stretched our legs, had some freshments and a break from the journey, she is charged up. This is something I wasn't expecting: I thought I'd be looking at my watch impatiently, but in fact it has been an easy adjustment.

Foxy hasn't needed anything other than a wash and some washer fluid. The tyres haven't needed any air in 2 months, which surprised me as I've had some cars in the past that need regular top-ups. The grip from the Chinese rubber does seem like it is fading a bit, we are getting some occasional wheelspin, so we are definitely thinking of putting all seasons on before winter.

We have added mudguards, upgraded the interior lights, added seatbelt block holders in the back to make it easier for rear passengers.

Other than that, very little to report, she remains quick, comfortable and effortless to drive and we are still emerging with big smiles from every drive.

The grip from the Chinese rubber does seem like it is fading a bit, we are getting some occasional wheelspin, so we are definitely thinking of putting all seasons on before winter.
I can wholeheartedly recommend Michelin Cross Climates. They are silent (which is a requirement on EVs to my mind) and competent even on snow. I've had them mounted on three different cars now, they never failed to impress.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Michelin Cross Climates. They are silent (which is a requirement on EVs to my mind) and competent even on snow. I've had them mounted on three different cars now, they never failed to impress.
If I still lived in the Scottish highlands I would go for the Michelins as they are so good in snow. Now that I am a saft southerner and live in the "saff of engerland" I would go for the Hankook Kinergy 4S2, still good in the snow but much better wet and dry performance, and still quiet.

If I still lived in the Scottish highlands I would go for the Michelins as they are so good in snow. Now that I am a saft southerner and live in the "saff of engerland" I would go for the Hankook Kinergy 4S2, still good in the snow but much better wet and dry performance, and still quiet.

What is snow? 😂

Ah... that stuff! Yes we had it here for one day in 2018 and before the millennium I believe.

Shandy?, I'm strictly an ale-man myself, I like the local Devon brews and I live around the corner from Bays Brewery 🍺 🍺 🍺 .

Plenty of use for good traction though in Devon, lots of muddy lanes and tractors spreading 💩

What did you do with the original tyres?

It is only day one but zero faults I could find on collection (and I used the checklist), drive was soooo good back from the dealer, light years ahead of our old Karoq, very smooth and RWD miles better with great balance. Getting to the national speed limit was embarrassingly quick!

We will explore the car over the next few days and I may make some videos on specific bits of setup to give something back to these forums, since you have all been brilliant these last few months, even those I don't always agree with! 😁😁😁

Benefits of a Friday evening collection were the speed, they didn't even inspect our trade in and while not hurrying us at any point, several sales staff assisted in making it quick. Oh and no attempts to upsell us stuff we don't need.
That's great, I am so happy you had a good experience with the collection. I collected mine last Saturday, every day I am growing more and more impressed with it. I've owned a lot of cars and this is definitely the best by far.

Hi, this is helpful and has occurred frequently since we had the car two weeks ago. Is the view it is a signal failure or a SIM card failure. I also have problems with the bluetooth connection on my phone failing too. Thank you for any advice in advance

Had this a couple of times. The car's SIM card (eSIM?) seems to lose connection from time to time. It always went away resp. resolved itself after 15 or 20 minutes while driving (the led in the SOS button on the roof went green again), so I never gave it more attention. Happens once a month approximately.
Funny thing happened on the motorway earlier, it flashed up a red SOS call failure message and a phone symbol.

Wondering if I accidentally pressed a button or there's a voice command system on by default? Anyone seen this?
I have had this problem too, do people think it is a SIM card issue or a signal issue. Also I have had problems with the bluetooth disconnecting from my phone? Any advice very welcome

I have had this problem too, do people think it is a SIM card issue or a signal issue. Also I have had problems with the bluetooth disconnecting from my phone? Any advice very welcome
The Bluetooth unpairing is common on Trophys. Mine will work fine for days on end then it forgets the pairing for a day or two then suddenly starts to work again for a week. Really weird !

Hi, this is helpful and has occurred frequently since we had the car two weeks ago. Is the view it is a signal failure or a SIM card failure. I also have problems with the bluetooth connection on my phone failing too. Thank you for any advice in advance

I believe the SOS issue is probably low signal combined with a bug as I rarely get it (maybe once a month?) but when I do, it is usually in the same places.

3.5 months in, 3000 miles

Very little to say really, Foxy continues to purr and nothing has broken, fallen off or come loose, no rattles. She just works and her software foibles and now just part of her character.

We're loving the drive and I think have fully adapted to EV regen now. When I first drove her I found strong regen on the motorway kept slowing me down, so I switched to Adaptive. But over time I have not always bothered to switch mode and now I have my own "adaptive" mode built into my right foot. So she stays in strong regen now.

Biggest issue is seagull poo and how to keep her clean with the hosepipe ban down here, but that's not her fault.

Still very much in love and the drive is still - while no sports car - amazingly good.

3.5 months in, 3000 miles

Very little to say really, Foxy continues to purr and nothing has broken, fallen off or come loose, no rattles. She just works and her software foibles and now just part of her character.

We're loving the drive and I think have fully adapted to EV regen now. When I first drove her I found strong regen on the motorway kept slowing me down, so I switched to Adaptive. But over time I have not always bothered to switch mode and now I have my own "adaptive" mode built into my right foot. So she stays in strong regen now.

Biggest issue is seagull poo and how to keep her clean with the hosepipe ban down here, but that's not her fault.

Still very much in love and the drive is still - while no sports car - amazingly good.
Good stuff, Missed you on the podcast the other night, were you stealing the limelight and they punted you😉

You need to get a packet of the bird poo wipes, keep them in the car. Great for removing them before they get the chance to dry in

Good stuff, Missed you on the podcast the other night, were you stealing the limelight and they punted you😉
No, there was a mix up and I wasn't invited until last minute which clashed with other commitments. I will be on a future one.
You need to get a packet of the bird poo wipes, keep them in the car. Great for removing them before they get the chance to dry in
That's a great suggestion that never occurred to me before. Thanks!

No, there was a mix up and I wasn't invited until last minute which clashed with other commitments. I will be on a future one.

That's a great suggestion that never occurred to me before. Thanks!
I'll go with my first point you tube ⭐⭐⭐

I do come up with some sensible suggestions now and again, I've got Autoglym ones they were £7.99, great for getting rid of them if you notice quick

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back