Rear visibility in wet weather

I use Rain x and the effect is superb for me. No matter how heavy the rain it just glides off. I’m going to start taking pics of my rear screen and posting in this thread, I’m really struggling to understand what others are reporting, we all have the same type of rain right ? 🤪 Not once have I missed rear wiper and I am quite OCD about this stuff, I really thought it would be an issue but not for me, not even a little bit
Happy to see photos - it's not that we don't believe you, but clearly everyone's experience is different. How often do you apply the Rain X? Any tips?

Before buying the MG5 I've always had rear wipers. I thought it would be an issue but then I thought... how often do I actually use the rear wiper. I now have an MG4 and can honestly say yes.... when there's some water on it I tend to automatically go to use a wiper and its not there... but then I think, well its a few droplets of water, its not dirty and its not really restricting my view, so why does it bother me.

I'm now used to and it doesn't bother me.

Before buying the MG5 I've always had rear wipers. I thought it would be an issue but then I thought... how often do I actually use the rear wiper. I now have an MG4 and can honestly say yes.... when there's some water on it I tend to automatically go to use a wiper and its not there... but then I think, well its a few droplets of water, its not dirty and its not really restricting my view, so why does it bother me.

I'm now used to and it doesn't bother me.
My thinking too.

Happy to see photos - it's not that we don't believe you, but clearly everyone's experience is different. How often do you apply the Rain X? Any tips?
I’ll post soon, been using car all week, filthy weather, my rear screen was crystal clear this morning. I applied Rain X 2 months ago when I got the car. Make sure the screen is washed well and thoroughly dried. Apply Rain x with a small sponge in circular motion. Wait until it hazes, approx 2 to 3 minutes. Then buff off with a microfibres cloth. I’m going to do a little vid tomorrow morning showing how it reacts to water after 2 months and I’ll post it up.

I’ll post soon, been using car all week, filthy weather, my rear screen was crystal clear this morning. I applied Rain X 2 months ago when I got the car. Make sure the screen is washed well and thoroughly dried. Apply Rain x with a small sponge in circular motion. Wait until it hazes, approx 2 to 3 minutes. Then buff off with a microfibres cloth. I’m going to do a little vid tomorrow morning showing how it reacts to water after 2 months and I’ll post it up.
Thank you Crawfyp, I’m sure that will be very useful for forum members.

1st pic from me. I have been driving 45 mile round trip this week, all weathers, car dirty. When I got to my car parked in the open it had been raining for the last hour. Here is the view immediately after getting in the car

04E68ABC-8244-4901-9641-8916DFA0F3A3.jpeg

No issues with visibility at all from my perspective.

I'm going to give the RainX another chance using Crawfyp's technique - it would be great to get it to work and I certainly don't doubt that he's had good results. RainX does seem to come in a number of forms (aerosol, trigger bottle, squeeze bottle original, 2 in 1 cleaner/treatment etc.) and it might be that a particular formulation gives better results than others. I have the 2 in 1.

I can't speak for using it on the rear window but I've used it on the windscreen for years. Don't bother with the 2 in 1 it's rubbish, buy the regular bottle.

Get the glass as clean as possible first using a glass polish or similar product that doesn't leave anything behind and then apply lots of the liquid, as you would a polish or wax, until the whole screen is milky evenly before rubbing it off. It's often a bit streaky until it rains for the first time. It lasts a couple of months on the windscreen but it's well worth it.

Washed the car today. Here is a quick vid as promised showing the condition of car, dirty, then view of the rear screen which has been untouched by anything other than rain:

And then a view after cleaning of water being sprayed onto the rear screen. The Rain X was applied 2 months ago:

... I'm 3000 miles in with 2 months of driving in muddy rural roads (I'll add a pic tomorrow), and whilst the car hasn't yet been washed todate, the rear screen is still clear! - yes in the morning its full of condensation, but the wind over the car / rear screen clear - clears it within 5 mins - its just not a problem (which if im honest I did not expect!)

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4478.jpeg
    IMG_4478.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 112
... my current beef is not with the MG4 (far from it!), but i do worry with future external price rises (and a little bit of fast charging - or lack of it away from home?)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back