Will upgrade all speakers and add a sub

I just want to thank all those who have contributed here too - just the info I've been desperate for!
Looking forward to re-homing my Alpine R-Series into my SE. I've found some different speaker mounts that might work well, will report back after I try them. Shame there are no RCA outs from the amp, but that was never going to happen.

Okay - so I'm working on the system now. First thing is the tweeters because that is by far the easiest. Also interesting to be able to compare the effect of just changing these. And the result is much larger than I expected. Soundstaging, clarity, and vocals is hugely improved with the Pioneers. I will place the new tweeters on top of the plastic grills as this in itself makes a big difference. I acknowledge that it looks less clean but to me, the sound is essential.

View attachment 14644
With the new tweeters, 3D sound definitely needs to be turned off - which is anyway a step needed to get more natural sound.
I have the tweeters now and will fit soon, can you tell me what cable you have here between the white connector and the new tweeter connectors and is this soldered? Apologies, I am a noob at this.

I have the tweeters now and will fit soon, can you tell me what cable you have here between the white connector and the new tweeter connectors and is this soldered? Apologies, I am a noob at this.
I soldered on the extensions that came with the new speakers to the existing tweeter cables.
For colors, this conversion overview might help. On the right side you have "standard" wiring colors, and on the left side colors for MG4.
wiring-colors.PNG

I soldered on the extensions that came with the new speakers to the existing tweeter cables.
For colors, this conversion overview might help. On the right side you have "standard" wiring colors, and on the left side colors for MG4.
View attachment 15450
Hi I’ve got my replacement mg and am ready to carry on and install but after what you said about the system not outputting any audio I purchased a line output converter. It has 2 x L&R input and 1 x RCA output. My MG is an SE so only 2 channels. Any advice how I should approach? My original plan was to take a feed from the head unit LR and split it so I can connect to 4 channel amp Kenwood KAC-m1814 then hook up the existing front speakers and the additional rear speakers I am installing. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m hoping with my amp it will receive the audio without needing line output converter and keep things simpler!

This is my amp that has a few controls for high and low pass filters and also input sensitivity so hoping no need for line output converter?

The importing thing is that your line-out converter has selectable pre-load for 20 or 50 ohms.

It doesn't look like your amp will convert 2 ch to 4 ch, so here is what I think you should do:
1. run the front speaker signal to your LOC
2. buy two RCA Y-cables and connect them to the LOC output
3. connect your 4 RCA cable endings to the amp

This should give you a clean balanced 4-ch speaker output

Exactly what I thought I should do, my only question is do I need the line output converter as the amp has adjustable input sensitivity

Exactly what I thought I should do, my only question is do I need the line output converter as the amp has adjustable input sensitivity
I don't think that will help you as the stock amp needs to sense an impedance in the range of a speaker.

This one does the trick:

(I bought the LC2iPro)

I see, will I have a problem only putting 2 channels into the line convertor? I may purchase the kicker kisload4 mentioned in the first video but it has 4 channel in and 4 channel out?

Check out this video explaining it:

And here is a guy doing it the cheap way:

Hi how did you position your amp and the converter? Also do you think id be able to send two channels into the kicker by splitting the channels and sending 4 to the amp?

Started my install yesterday, pulled a rear door panel off to check everything out, all looks ok to go ahead. Only issue I’ve found is that my wiring is different to the suggested on here, it seems to be reversed so rear right=pink- and white/brown+ maybe it’s reversed for right hand drive cars. I will update later when I‘ve finished, I’ll put a YouTube video together too

Attachments

• F19C4DF3-6E01-4BF5-B134-CAC3C54F11DF.jpeg
    F19C4DF3-6E01-4BF5-B134-CAC3C54F11DF.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 304
Started my install yesterday, pulled a rear door panel off to check everything out, all looks ok to go ahead. Only issue I’ve found is that my wiring is different to the suggested on here, it seems to be reversed so rear right=pink- and white/brown+ maybe it’s reversed for right hand drive cars. I will update later when I‘ve finished, I’ll put a YouTube video together too
Are you upgrading a trophy?

How did the install go? Could you please share the link to the speaker mounts.

How did the install go? Could you please share the link to the speaker mounts.
It’s going well, rears installed, front tweeters in and door sound deadening in.
I didn’t use the speaker mounts I bought as they weren’t very good, they split when tightening and too brittle. I adapted the existing speaker mounts by cutting out the old drivers, I will post up a video soon (just have the front door speakers left to fit).

It’s going well, rears installed, front tweeters in and door sound deadening in.
I didn’t use the speaker mounts I bought as they weren’t very good, they split when tightening and too brittle. I adapted the existing speaker mounts by cutting out the old drivers, I will post up a video soon (just have the front door speakers left to fit).
I had real trouble trying to get the tweeter covers out. Interested to see if that makes the final cut of your video. I gave up, for now....

Given that I'm partially deaf (degraded hearing anyway), I don't find the sound in the SE bad enough to consider changing anything. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom