Just had my first experience of the amber SoC bar, 7 weeks into owning the car. Came online to find a reason and found this thread. A year on from when it began it's still just a speculated bug, I see 🤪, ah well at least it doesn't sound serious.

Just had my first experience of the amber SoC bar, 7 weeks into owning the car. Came online to find a reason and found this thread. A year on from when it began it's still just a speculated bug, I see 🤪, ah well at least it doesn't sound serious.
It's not a bug, it's a "feature" :ROFLMAO:

After my recent software update, I noticed the bar gets orange, when the "low battery" warning came up. The threshold is quite high IMO, 16%.
20231216_181740.jpg

That's an improvement, but people with different MG cars were talking about it going amber higher than that, in fact some were saying 50%. Does it ever go red?

Yeah, this thread starts with a 93% orange. I guess they try to finish programing and put functions behind the visual appearance. At least this is what I feel. I'm not sure about red, someone might tried to drive the battery further down.

There are photos of MG4s where the gauge does go amber then red in a predictable, sensible way, but I'm not sure if anyone on this forum has one that does that. People in MG5s and ZSs say theirs work properly.

I had random amber gauge at 100% once.

Its a totally random “software featurette” that has nothing to do with the actual reading.

Dont try and make any sense of it

Today I drove my MG4 R46 down to 0% 0km/mls.

Outside temperature -4°C.

Yellow battery gauge and battery symbol came on at 7%.

Yellow Turtle came at 7% and 1-2km less range. Max speed flat road 47 km/h.

Flashing yellow battery symbol at 4% 5km and heater shut off.

3% 3km range, car stopped. Rolled to a stop.
Put the car in park and then drive, drove the last 400m home with max 5-6% with power (note: when starting to drive again I momentarly got at least 17% power output).

0% 1km still flashing yellow battery symbol, the car can still be moved. No battery bar appears.
0% 0km. Still yellow battery symbol, car can be moved, now charging to 100%

Attachments

• 20240103_210037.jpg
    20240103_210037.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240103_201605.jpg
    20240103_201605.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240103_201514.jpg
    20240103_201514.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20240103_201829.jpg
    20240103_201829.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Yellow battery gauge and battery symbol came on at 7%.

Yellow Turtle came at 7% and 1-2km less range. Max speed flat road 47 km/h.

Flashing yellow battery symbol at 4% 5km and heater shut off.

3% 3km range, car stopped. Rolled to a stop.
Put the car in park and then drive, drove the last 400m home with max 5-6 with power.

0% 1km still flashing yellow battery symbol, the car can still be moved. No battery bar appears.
0% 0km. Still yellow battery symbol, car can be moved, now charging to 100%
Mine behaved similarly regarding the colour of the battery gauge and when the yellow turtle came on. But I could still do around 60 mph / 100 km/h. Power was limited to 25% though.

1704376321284.jpeg

Mine behaved similarly regarding the colour of the battery gauge and when the yellow turtle came on. But I could still do around 60 mph / 100 km/h. Power was limited to 25% though.
Thats how our SR works - very linear "guess o meter", from below 50% (albeit on a long journey) - I think the lowest we've gone is 4 miles remaining (a story for another day) ~ 1-2% , but no significant loss in power.

View attachment 22612
Was that in low temp? My test was done between -5 and -4°C with a car/battery just as cold when I started the test with 10% remaining in the battery. MG4 Luxury/Trophy with R46 infotainment software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that in low temp? My test was done between -5 and -4°C with a car/battery just as cold when I started the test with 10% remaining in the battery. MG4 Luxury/Trophy with R46 infotainment software.
It was in April last year, late in the evening. Can't remember exactly, but my guess would be between 5 and 10°C. Luxury/Trophy model, too.

I've recently bought a second-hand MG SE long range and on a couple of occasions the green charge/discharge indication on the display panel has gone brown when driving. I can't find anything in the on'line instructions and there's no 'fault indicators' lit up.
It looks ominous to me; anybody's any idea what this means?

There is already a thread on this but the general census of opinion is it's a software glitch and nothing to worry about.

my mg4 ev basic model(SE?) has twice shown an orange charging %, both times I was at 40odd % charged. Last time I noticed that I locked the car and then left again shortly after and it went away and both times it was on the return of a short journey (7 miles at most).

Today I preheated the car as it was -1 and iced up and it was green, drove 3 miles, left it an hour and then on return journey it was orange, so could be a battery thing. Or I imagine its another feature of the MG just like the errors that randomly appear on startup.

The orange shows on the 'charging' tab but its a lovely blue on the 'discharging' tab.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel