Anyone need brake pads yet?

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
So what do you think of this shameless profiteering from the only MG parts suppplier I could initially find online.

MG4 Front Brake Pads.

Screenshot_20240229_212223_Chrome.jpg

Volkswagen Golf GTD Front Brake Pads.

Screenshot_20240229_213139_Chrome.jpg

Let's hope we can purchase from Ali Express or such like when required eh?

Such a new car I doubt the aftermarket has an audience yet. They will come in time - I just hope I’m not one of the early ones rather selfishly.

Now for aliexpress etc beware - technically as the importer of brake pads they should have the correct E markings on to comply. Now in the past I’ve had American pads which met DOT standards but not European and they were the quietest, most progressive pads I ever fitted to that vehicle (EU approved would squeal no matter what I did). That is not to say you could end up with garbage and my my I’ve had eBay specials which fell to bits !

Such a new car I doubt the aftermarket has an audience yet. They will come in time - I just hope I’m not one of the early ones rather selfishly.

Now for aliexpress etc beware - technically as the importer of brake pads they should have the correct E markings on to comply. Now in the past I’ve had American pads which met DOT standards but not European and they were the quietest, most progressive pads I ever fitted to that vehicle (EU approved would squeal no matter what I did). That is not to say you could end up with garbage and my my I’ve had eBay specials which fell to bits !

Agreed.
God help me when I need X Power pads!
£350-400??

It will get easier/cheaper to get spares I'm sure..........It has to.

You can only be bent over for so long before things need to change. (I'm led to believe)🤣

So what do you think of this shameless profiteering from the only MG parts suppplier I could initially find online.
Another reason I doubt I would buy another MG (much as I love my Xpower) :-

1. Customer Service 1/10
2. Price of Parts 1/10
3. Availablity of parts 1/10

Rant over 😂🤣

In many cases, the rear pads are replaced not due to the level of wear.
In fact it can be the complete opposite 👎.
The pads are replaced when the rear discs become so badly corroded and pitted, that that both discs and pads require replacement.
The pads are then discarded prematurely regardless of their state of condition in relation to wear level.
Regen braking is the main cause in the lack of footbrake required to slow the car down.
The rear brakes on an ICE car do not get the same level of work as the front brakes of course, so add in the regen braking on an EV and the rear brakes are on holiday for most of their lives 🤣.

In many cases, the rear pads are replaced not due to the level of wear.
In fact it can be the complete opposite 👎.
The pads are replaced when the rear discs become so badly corroded and pitted, that that both discs and pads require replacement.
The pads are then discarded prematurely regardless of their state of condition in relation to wear level.
Regen braking is the main cause in the lack of footbrake required to slow the car down.
The rear brakes on an ICE car do not get the same level of work as the front brakes of course, so add in the regen braking on an EV and the rear brakes are on holiday for most of their lives 🤣.

Very true, the rear discs start to look sad very early on, VW made a smart move with the drums on the ID 3.
MOT time is when a lot of us will ripped off for new discs and pads no doubt.

Stand firm and don't take the BS, especially from main dealers. As long as the disc is above minimum thickness with no horrendous groves and the pads have 3mm or more, it meets MOT standards.

Very true, the rear discs start to look sad very early on, VW made a smart move with the drums on the ID 3.
MOT time is when a lot of us will ripped off for new discs and pads no doubt.

Stand firm and don't take the BS, especially from main dealers. As long as the disc is above minimum thickness with no horrendous groves and the pads have 3mm or more, it meets MOT standards.
I agree, I made the decision a LONG time ago to never use the main dealers for my MOT requirements, even if it was so called “free”.
There is no such thing as a “free diner” as they say.
A free MOT followed by a phone call to say that you need a grand to replace all discs and pads, is not my idea of a good deal TBH.
Have it tested by a good independent MOT station before submitting to the dealer for its annual service is my favoured choice.
Having owned a number of VW’s in the past, I do like the idea of using drums on the back.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back