[Car finally rejected] Recalcitrant Dealer

I wonder if they could put some dye in it? Drive around and see what happens.
My impression is that they are reluctant to do anything further. Yesterday I insisted that their technician came with me for a ride (1.1 miles in the end) and then inspected it again. But the result was the same, no oil leak.

My dealer is saying the oil leak and undertray problems do not exist, that they have received nothing, no tech bulletins from MG UK at all.

"The oil appears to be engine oil and we don't know where it came from."

"The bulging undertray is a characteristic of the vehicle."

What do I do now?
Name & Shame

Stoneacre Nottingham. The sales team is fine, but the service team I'm just clueless.
I dont think the sales team are fine. They will say whatever they need to to sell you a car but then do not honour promises. From my point of view they still owe me £350 which was their share of the £800 they stiffed me for. Do not expect fair play. They should be advocating on your behalf.I spent hours in their salesroom (waiting for my car while in for repairs.) and I got to learn the pattern of bullshit they pile on customers. If Danny is still the service manager print off the relevant MG Ev Community dialogue and take it to him. He was at least willing to listen during the 5 months it took to sort out my car.
If I could go back to this time least year I would have rejected the car.

I dont think the sales team are fine. They will say whatever they need to to sell you a car but then do not honour promises. From my point of view they still owe me £350 which was their share of the £800 they stiffed me for. Do not expect fair play. They should be advocating on your behalf.I spent hours in their salesroom (waiting for my car while in for repairs.) and I got to learn the pattern of bullsh*t they pile on customers. If Danny is still the service manager print off the relevant MG Ev Community dialogue and take it to him. He was at least willing to listen during the 5 months it took to sort out my car.
If I could go back to this time least year I would have rejected the car.
I haven’t seen any Danny. I’m currently with another dealer 70 miles away from my home, they will provide a report on all the issues I’m having.

I haven’t seen any Danny. I’m currently with another dealer 70 miles away from my home, they will provide a report on all the issues I’m having.
And guess what, another MG dealership provided an inspection report showing the oil leak. They even have the part for another MG4.

Attachments

• D2BC082C-34EA-425A-BE6C-76354BA94DD1.jpeg
    D2BC082C-34EA-425A-BE6C-76354BA94DD1.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 151
And guess what, another MG dealership provided an inspection report showing the oil leak. They even have the part for another MG4.
You know, looking at that photo, I can't help but wonder if MG are lightning fast in their design and manufacture departments or if that part is off another vehicle........

dropped my car yesterday or oil leaking, phoned them today.
they told me that they were expecting the part to arrive today, but didn't. SO I have to leave the car with them till the replacement pipe arrived.

dropped my car yesterday or oil leaking, phoned them today.
they told me that they were expecting the part to arrive today, but didn't. SO I have to leave the car with them till the replacement pipe arrived.
I thought dealers had been told that it was ok to continue driving the car while you wait for the part to arrive?

I thought dealers had been told that it was ok to continue driving the car while you wait for the part to arrive?
The car booked in last week, the dealer may ordered the part at same time and expect the pipe to arrive this week, so they have time to replace and test.
This explains why they booked my car for 2 days (yesterday and today).
I should return the loan car today as per the booking, now they said I can keep it till next Tuesday.

You know, looking at that photo, I can't help but wonder if MG are lightning fast in their design and manufacture departments or if that part is off another vehicle........
Or if it was built for the MG4 but someone tore out the assembly line document page xxx and the assemblers just winged it 🤣

My impression is that they are reluctant to do anything further. Yesterday I insisted that their technician came with me for a ride (1.1 miles in the end) and then inspected it again. But the result was the same, no oil leak.

If they have had the undertray off and cleaned the gearbox and breather then that's not far enough for sufficient oil to escape to leak out. On my car which had a leak, then the level reduced and everything cleaned up, it took about 200 miles before it reappeared. But it did reappear significantly at that point.

Go back to them and point out the above

Hopefully this gives you enough ammunition for a result. If it doesn't, I'd be taking legal action.
Apparently not, they referred me to their ADR services and refused to advise me on whether I can safely drive the car or not. :)

My car insurance comes with motor legal but I'm not sure for 20 quid a year it's actually useful.

Apparently not, they referred me to their ADR services and refused to advise me on whether I can safely drive the car or not. :)

My car insurance comes with motor legal but I'm not sure for 20 quid a year it's actually useful.
Worth talking to them at least to find out what the legal cover gives you, if anything.

Do you want to keep the car? If you do, you could continue with the new dealer, even though it is a long way to travel.

If you are wanting to reject then you need to do that within the 30 days ideally and if they are refusing you might need to pay for your own solicitor to take it up, ideally you want to find someone experienced with automotive cases.

This kinda thing boils my piss.

I think this dealer should be pinned or highlighted in this forum, so that people know to avoid them.

If they have rejected your statutory legal right to reject the car in 30 days they are breaking the law.

They have continued to be obtuse about the facts presented to them and are instead referring you to their ADR scheme.

This should put anyone off, Stoneacre Nottingham are refusing the right to reject on a faulty car within the 30 days.
Unfortunately you will have to use the ADR scheme (courts like it), if they do not rule in your favour (unlikely) then the courts most certainly will.

What I would do is contact the dealer making sure that you explicitly tell them that you have rejected the car within the 30 days as per the consumer rights act 2015, you should mention the reasons why you have done this. (you should mention when you first contacted them and rejected the car just for the record). Make it clear that if they do not refund you, you will be going to court.

There is no need for a solicitors letter, you can use the template found here: Letter rejecting a new or used car bought from a dealer - Which?

Id also copy MG into any correspondence, it may make them think twice.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back