Hello, unfortunately yet another moan about MG4 not charging AC. My MG4 has been with DriveMG, Hull since 22/12/2023 who seemed unable to diagnose the fault with the car, despite applying 5 software updates that they believed would resolve the issue. As some of you will know, software updates are not resolving the fault(s). I contacted MG customer service tech. who told me they had instructed DriveMG, Hull to carry out various tests, one after the other, they appear to have a very specific process in this regard. Their last email told me it could be one of two faults, but did not know what potential faults. I again rang the dealer Monday 29/01, whose customer service requires an update (intentional pun) specifically with regard to communication, who told me the parts had arrived with them. Am now awaiting a phone call from DriveMG, Hull telling me my car is fixed and what the faults were. They can then have back the petrol loan car I've been using. 🤞

Hello, unfortunately yet another moan about MG4 not charging AC. My MG4 has been with DriveMG, Hull since 22/12/2023 who seemed unable to diagnose the fault with the car, despite applying 5 software updates that they believed would resolve the issue. As some of you will know, software updates are not resolving the fault(s). I contacted MG customer service tech. who told me they had instructed DriveMG, Hull to carry out various tests, one after the other, they appear to have a very specific process in this regard. Their last email told me it could be one of two faults, but did not know what potential faults. I again rang the dealer Monday 29/01, whose customer service requires an update (intentional pun) specifically with regard to communication, who told me the parts had arrived with them. Am now awaiting a phone call from DriveMG, Hull telling me my car is fixed and what the faults were. They can then have back the petrol loan car I've been using. 🤞
Sounds like another CCU failure and replacement. Is yours an early (no rear wiper) long range SE or Trophy?

Sounds like another CCU failure and replacement. Is yours an early (no rear wiper) long range SE or Trophy?
Yes it is, long range Trophy. Further to me emailing the dealers customer service team, I have received a phone call from the dealer explaining the faults with my car are the CCU & preconditioning unit ie. it pre- heats the battery bringing it up to temperature. This is required in order for the car's system to accept & charge the battery. The latter part is on a ship somewhere & due to embark to the dealer next Wednesday. The CCU has been fitted.

Ac charging at home stops after 2 minutes or so on both type 2 (pod point solo) and granny plug charging - scheduling off, charge up to 100% set etc etc .

Just been down to the the DC charging station and no problem getting to near 100%.

Any ideas ?

TIA

Ac charging at home stops after 2 minutes or so on both type 2 (pod point solo) and granny plug charging - scheduling off, charge up to 100% set etc etc .

Just been down to the the DC charging station and no problem getting to near 100%.

Any ideas ?

TIA

Sounds like you have a phase 1 car, have a read through this thread, your not alone.

Will probably need a new CCU, contact your dealer.

Sounds like you have a phase 1 car, have a read through this thread, your not alone.

Will probably need a new CCU, contact your dealer.

Unfortunately, it sounds exactly like the problem I and others in the thread I started have been experiencing. They’ll try to “fix” it first with software updates, but make sure the technician thoroughly checks it otherwise you’ll be going back and forth to the dealers. I’m currently waiting on delivery of a new CCU and charging on DC only at present.

If they have a Phase 2 model then I think that would be the first one with this issue? That's why I thought it premature to merge the threads at this time.

If they have a Phase 2 model then I think that would be the first one with this issue? That's why I thought it premature to merge the threads at this time.

Since the problem takes months to occur, it could easily affect Phase 2 cars we just haven't hit it yet, or it could be limited to Phase 1 chargers or even a specific batch.

I suspect the Phase 2 models (Trophy, XPower and SE LR) have the same charger as the Phase 1 and 2 SE models - i.e. 6.6kW single phase ... if true then this unit has had 18 months or so for such an issue to develop.

Just out of interest as I too have a Phase 1 Trophy.

Those who are definitely having or have had a new CCU fitted:
1. What was the build date of your Trophy?
2. Which home charger are you using?
3. Which supplier and tariff are you on?

Just out of interest as I too have a Phase 1 Trophy.

Those who are definitely having or have had a new CCU fitted:
1. What was the build date of your Trophy?
2. Which home charger are you using?
3. Which supplier and tariff are you on?
Not sure date as in garage atm, but picked up on 9th March 2023, Zappi v2.1, Octopus normal rate but since car in garage moved to Intelligent Octopus Go

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back