I’m not saying it is your issue (seems rather coincidental to be honest) BUT I had some strange goings on with my 4 SE SR whilst having power line networking kit in my house. Scheduled charging via my charge point would not start unless I opened the cars app and told it to start charge in the battery menu. It’s a free thing to check if you have it in your setup.

Just and edit: I felt the need to remove the powerline networking kit completely as it obviously really upset something (car/charger) which isn’t good in my eyes.

Last edited:
I’m not saying it is your issue (seems rather coincidental to be honest) BUT I had some strange goings on with my 4 SE SR whilst having power line networking kit in my house. Scheduled charging via my charge point would not start unless I opened the cars app and told it to start charge in the battery menu. It’s a free thing to check if you have it in your setup.
We tried it via the app and in the car, I think we went through every setting and combination multiple times. We'll see what they try next. I think in general there is not the level of experience with mechanics on EV's yet that there is for ICE

We tried it via the app and in the car, I think we went through every setting and combination multiple times. We'll see what they try next. I think in general there is not the level of experience with mechanics on EV's yet that there is for ICE
Well it’s generally that you set one or the other (charge point or the car not both) and you should be away. You are right and our EVs throw extra external variables into the situation re. mechanics and diagnosis.

I’ve seen some posting of trouble with zappi etc of late which is obviously another issue and just throwing my weird experience into the mix. I feel a bit special that I’m the only one I’ve heard of having issue with it and a 4 (5s and ZSs had a few cases). Basic one is if you have powerline kit - turn it off plug car in and see if the issues go away. Does sound like you have a bigger issue as the public ac didn’t work.

My garage have had the car since last Thursday. They eventually took some notice of my original issue (i.e. AC charging) after telling me it was just that I had set the target charge level to 60% and that this was stopping the charge. When I finally persuaded them this wasn't the issue and they actually tried AC charging themselves and discovered it had failed. They say they have now raised a SHOW ticket to MG, but no response (at least to me) so far. Any progress from others?

I have a Zappi and MG4 Extended Range. I usually just plug in and use the MG app to do a scheduled charge between 00:30 and 04:30. Never had a problem with it stopping, charges to 80/90/100 if I increase the limit in the MG app. I've never used the Zappi app for this

My conversation with someone at the dealer this afternoon indicated they had been asked to provide information regarding DCDC and EVCC issues - not clear if this is just a software check, but they were saying it was going to take a full day to undertake. More news tomorrow (hopefully).

My conversation with someone at the dealer this afternoon indicated they had been asked to provide information regarding DCDC and EVCC issues - not clear if this is just a software check, but they were saying it was going to take a full day to undertake. More news tomorrow (hopefully).
Mines been in since first thing Thursday so far

Hi
My MG4 came back from dealer after electric window motor issue on Wednesday. Ever since, I've had issues charging with Eassee one on a schedule overnight So I did some experimenting today to clarify what's happening. Tried just plugging in without schedule, tried charging at range from 6A to 32A, tried charging with app and without. Tried using car software and screen. Tried it locked and unlocked and tried all the above with the Granny charger too. All it does is start charging for a minute or two max. Then stops, it retries for two or three times, same result then gives up.
I took it to the local Lidl and charged up on CCS rapid charger which works.
Any thoughts on what I could do? Obviously I'm ringing MG as we speak on a Friday afternoon though!!?
Hi,
I posted the above message on my own separate thread a few weeks ago. Sounds an identical issue. No AC charging.
My question being what is everyone's experience with their dealers and MG. My MG4 has been at the dealers for this problem for 12 days and they have raised a ticket with MG and responded to the
diagnostic requests of MG a couple of times. Each time they have been waiting for MG to respond for days at a time. 6 days wait this last time. Am I being given the run around or is this normal with MG technical department before warranty claim approvals??

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first visit to the dealer since I collected the car at the end of March so have had no experience of how good or useless they are. However, I am not encouraged by the fact that they may be asking the same questions and getting the same answers as you, but not making much progress in finding a soluton. When did you get your car? - March-time seems to be a common factor.

This is my first visit to the dealer since I collected the car at the end of March so have had no experience of how good or useless they are. However, I am not encouraged by the fact that they may be asking the same questions and getting the same answers as you, but not making much progress in finding a soluton. When did you get your car? - March-time seems to be a common factor.
Yes I got my MG4 trophy in April this year. First thing MG did was suggest a software update, this took 4 days!
I am penciling an email to MG customer services today but I don't hold out much hope.

Took my MG4 to my local dealer tonight, ready for them to fully update the car and investigate the AC charging issue tomorrow. I sent an email with the videos and photos I took of the problem happening to the technician at the request of the woman at the front desk, so hopefully they'll be able to give me some news tomorrow evening.

I've had an update from my dealer this morning.
1000007890.png

Hopefully these updates do the trick, but I'll be watching it like a hawk over the next few months.

At least this proves they know there is an issue.

Got it back as dealer wouldn’t lend me a loan car without charging £16 a day so apparently waiting on ok from mg to order the charger. But rapid charging is fine but expensive

Went to visit my dealer (Glyn Hopkins, St Albans) today due to the lack of information regarding progress an assessing the problem for my MG4. They told me that ALL issues associated with eh car's high voltage system required explicit consultation with MG China (a messaging system with no guaranteed response time) before they were "allowed" to investigate specific avenues, almost entirely associated with performing specific software tests and/or updates, then reporting back results for another slow cycle of response. The dealer suggested this was about to improve with the introduction of a new system of interaction by MG China on 4th December. They still have my car and I await some progress to solving the problem with bated breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my car back last night, and had a successful charge last night, didn't stop once and the charge rate was a pin straight line on the graph on the zappi app, it hasn't done that in months... But I know it's only one night, but here's hoping for this to be a good sign. I've had all the updates available for the car except the R33 update for the SE version as my dealer isn't getting this from MG until later this month but the technician I spoke to said he will email me when it comes in.

Went to visit my dealer (Glyn Hopkins, St Albans) today due to the lack of information regarding progress an assessing the problem for my MG4. They told me that ALL issues associated with eh car's high voltage system required explicit consultation with MG China (a messaging system with no guaranteed response time) before they were "allowed" to investigate specific avenues, almost entirely associated with performing specific software tests and/or updates, then reporting back results for another slow cycle of response. The dealer suggested this was about to improve with the introduction of a new system of interaction by MG China on 4th December. They still have my car and I await some progress to solving the problem with baited breath.
Thank you for passing on this information - a better system sounds promising. I appreciate this doesn't help someone like you who has already had big delays but it helps others to know about changes.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back