What is referred to by phase 1 and phase2? are Phase 1 models the early ones?

Given that DC is unaffected, it must be a problem with the onboard charger. The only question then is: which models does it affect and is it just a bad batch or a design fault?
My understanding is that when charging with DC the on-board charger is not involved, which is only concerned with AC charging. Mine is fine on DC other than the impact on my wallet :)

What is referred to by phase 1 and phase2? are Phase 1 models the early ones?
Phase 1 are Model Year (MY) 22 - i.e. those built to the 2022 specification. Phase 2 are MY23 cars, those built to the 2023 specification which includes (amongst other things) the rear wiper.

I got pointed in this direction via a FB group. I seem to be having the same problem as mentioned by many on here. Started on Fri when my charge (I’ve got the MG4 Trophy) stopped at 77%. I’m using the Alfen charger provided by British Gas. I tried on a CCS public charger and had no issues so assumed it was my home charger. Plugged it in again and just 2-3% charges before it stops. I went back to public charger and tried an AC charge and got the same as at home. I’ll be calling MG tomorrow. I picked my car up in April this year so sounds like a similar timeline to others on here

Out of curiosity, for those of you with the issue, what did the dealers say about not being able to rectify this? will they reimburse DC charging costs? as in my case, that'd be 10 times the cost of home charging and I would consider that extremely expensive to have to support the cost myself.

For those members who charge their MG4s with a Zappi, has this ever happened to you? The first time it happened was on Sunday. I’d set the car to charge to 80% from something like 45% and let it do its thing. Around the time I expected it to have finished I checked the Zappi app and found it had finished earlier than expected. It had actually stopped charging at 74%. I thought that was odd and then started the Zappi again to finish the charge to 80%, but again it stopped at 76%. Okay, this is not normal. A third attempt got the car charging and balancing to 80%. 🤔

I plugged it in this evening to charge the car from 67% to 80% and the Zappi stopped at 78%. The second attempt got it charging and balancing to 80%. I’ve updated the Zappi firmware, just in case that’s the issue, but I’m perplexed as to what could be the cause of this. Any ideas guys? Could it be the car, or is there something I’m not doing correctly? Any help is appreciated. I haven’t had any problems in the last seven months of charging until last Sunday.
It may be the Zappi it will have a CT clamp on your supply and will power down if the total amps you are using gets too high, so as not to overload your supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, for those of you with the issue, what did the dealers say about not being able to rectify this? will they reimburse DC charging costs? as in my case, that'd be 10 times the cost of home charging and I would consider that extremely expensive to have to support the cost myself.
I can't imagine any dealers reimbursing any charging costs. I'll settle for a fix in a few months.

From my perspective, yes it is more expensive but at least I still have use of the car. If I had a fault with my ICE fuel filler, I'd be unable to use it.

It is a pain, but it is a first world problem, I can afford it and if I spent my time trying to get compensation for things like this I think I'd be angry and disappointed most of the time. No thanks.

CT clamps are not involved in my case and I have no solar - checking the Zappi logs tells you about problems like that and there is nothing - the car is simply terminating the charge early. I have no errors anywhere.

@FiferMG4 Could rename this discussion and remove the Zappi part, since this isn't a Zappi issue and I think that is confusing some people.

I had this exact issue this weekend with my Hive (Alfen) charger. Charged fine Friday night, drove to pick child 2 up from Warwick Uni. Did a quick DC charge before heading home - all good. Put the car back on charge at home on Sunday morning set to 60% and it stopped at 43%. Tried again, stopped again. Third time finally got there. Mine is in the garage next week, will mention it to them (not much hope though).

I had this exact issue this weekend with my Hive (Alfen) charger. Charged fine Friday night, drove to pick child 2 up from Warwick Uni. Did a quick DC charge before heading home - all good. Put the car back on charge at home on Sunday morning set to 60% and it stopped at 43%. Tried again, stopped again. Third time finally got there. Mine is in the garage next week, will mention it to them (not much hope though).
If you are taking it in anyway, make sure you have tried it on several AC chargers first (they will ask you to do that), also ask them to test on their charger but not just for a few percent - ideally an overnight charge or at least 30% to reproduce.

You might struggle to convince them if you are in the early stages - I'm going to hold off a bit until it reproduces reliably.

It is a good idea though to ask them if they can apply all BMS/charger software updates when it goes in, because that's one of the steps they will ask you to go through (and test again) most likely.

If you are taking it in anyway, make sure you have tried it on several AC chargers first (they will ask you to do that), also ask them to test on their charger but not just for a few percent - ideally an overnight charge or at least 30% to reproduce.

You might struggle to convince them if you are in the early stages - I'm going to hold off a bit until it reproduces reliably.

It is a good idea though to ask them if they can apply all BMS/charger software updates when it goes in, because that's one of the steps they will ask you to go through (and test again) most likely.
I have access to a number of chargers at work so will test on those before I take it in. Mine is a lease car - if they can't fix they can take the thing back !

I have access to a number of chargers at work so will test on those before I take it in. Mine is a lease car - if they can't fix they can take the thing back !
Yes, understood, it is really about the speed of the fix - the above should speed up the process but if you do need a new onboard charger there are rumours of parts delays.

Yes, understood, it is really about the speed of the fix - the above should speed up the process but if you do need a new onboard charger there are rumours of parts delays.
Understood, but they are contracted to provide me a fit-for-purpose car

I did suspect there was a parts delay behind the multiple software "fixes". IMO they would be better off admitting that so at least we have the promise of a replacement a few months down the line. By the looks of things we're picking up new instances of this on this thread quite regularly now and I'm assuming not everyone with an MG4 with this problem has found their way to this forum, so looks like it could become a bigger issue for MG.
I'm back in tomorrow with mine, for the third time so I will see if I can politely direct things toward a replacement.

Here's my charge log from this morning - yes that was me manually charging it at 3.30am!
View attachment 22088

Thanks, I thought it wouldn't but I might try anyway.

Mini-update: my dealer's service department have asked me to test DC charging, then bring it in.

They are stacked up into mid-January but they said they would be able to at least do a diagnostic before that.

No loan cars available - which sounds common from what other people have said.

A few more tests - I managed to go from 72%-78% then it stopped again. Then 78%-80% limit and it seemed to properly balance the pack, saw what I'd expect.

Over the weekend I'll test DC charging out.
This is exactly what my charging graph looked like before my car went in. Touch wood, I've still had no issues since my dealer performed all possible updates they could. And the charge graph is a pin straight line now. I'm starting to think that there might be two issues happening, a hardware issue, and a software issue.

Yes, multiple overlapping issues are common with MG! I could believe that.
Luckily, we’re all still able to use our cars with DC rapid charging. I may be the first to experience this issue at my dealership, but I doubt I’ll be the last. Anyway, I’m glad we have this forum to compare notes and offer advice to one another.

Latest update on mine from today's visit. They said they've applied some more patches to it and it has improved somewhat but they're not happy leaving it like that, so they have kept the car in and raised a case with MG. I should get an update on next steps tomorrow. In their words they are convinced it's a software issue; well maybe so but I don't understand how a software issue suddenly manifests when no software patches have been applied to the car since it was delivered, unless MG are delivering some updates over the air.

Latest update on mine from today's visit. They said they've applied some more patches to it and it has improved somewhat but they're not happy leaving it like that, so they have kept the car in and raised a case with MG. I should get an update on next steps tomorrow. In their words they are convinced it's a software issue; well maybe so but I don't understand how a software issue suddenly manifests when no software patches have been applied to the car since it was delivered, unless MG are delivering some updates over the air.
The only way it would be a possible SW issue is if it was paired with environmental conditions, like multiple charging sessions in cold conditions not being calibrated properly or leading to a poor hardware response.

That said, given 'when' it started happening to people, I'd say it's either a bad batch of chargers or poor quality control on the 3phase versions.

Mine is still okay, touch wood, so I tend to remain optimistic about things.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back