If you had the old app all you need to do is login to the new one using your existing login details, you do not need to bind car again.
If you had the old app all you need to do is login to the new one using your existing login details, you do not need to bind car again.
My password didn’t autofill, couldn’t remember it so had to do the forgotten password routine and now asks to rebind on app but no second QR code on Mg screen

Is anyone else still getting the "the remote control instruction failed, please try again later" message all the time??
Android version, latest download, cache cleared, MG5 2022 etc...
What am I doing wrong?
Same for me. MG4 SR Version in Germany.

My password didn’t autofill, couldn’t remember it so had to do the forgotten password routine and now asks to rebind on app but no second QR code on Mg screen
You dont need to rebind, you should only have to login with your original login details (check if you are using email by also trying your phone number). The app is already bound to your car and you cannot rebind unless you unbind first (in which case you wont have to re-bind anyway).. ye ken (born in Edinburgh, went to tynecastle :))

So here I am, Third day of trying this utter BS.

Deleted app, reinstalled (three times now), open app …. Graphic of rear of an MG4 appears with “To Bind” button underneath.

Go to car, bring up QR code under user menu, scan QR code, says success at bottom, then just stays on graphic of MG. Try another menu at the bottom, just comes uop with ‘Bind’

so currently will not open any of the app information when clicking the ‘MG’ icon on bottom left (just stays on the MG4 Graphic page with ‘To Bind” underneath.

Tried this now, close to 30 times.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I Really am losing the will to live here.

The list of things that I have to put up with, with this car now, is growing and growing.

Due to losing £10k on a £36K car in a little over a year, means I am stuck with it for a least another 12 months. I wish I had spent another few grand initially and gone for a different manufacturer.

Anyway, I digress, If anyone can help me out, will be forever in your debt :)

So here I am, Third day of trying this utter BS.

Deleted app, reinstalled (three times now), open app …. Graphic of rear of an MG4 appears with “To Bind” button underneath.

Go to car, bring up QR code under user menu, scan QR code, says success at bottom, then just stays on graphic of MG. Try another menu at the bottom, just comes uop with ‘Bind’

so currently will not open any of the app information when clicking the ‘MG’ icon on bottom left (just stays on the MG4 Graphic page with ‘To Bind” underneath.

Tried this now, close to 30 times.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I Really am losing the will to live here.

The list of things that I have to put up with, with this car now, is growing and growing.

Due to losing £10k on a £36K car in a little over a year, means I am stuck with it for a least another 12 months. I wish I had spent another few grand initially and gone for a different manufacturer.

Anyway, I digress, If anyone can help me out, will be forever in your debt :)
You shouldn't have to bind the car, that's for new cars / accounts. Is there an option to just login using your email or phone number? After logging in, the car should already be bound to your account. If it isn't, chances are you're using the wrong account. Try logging in with your emailadres or if that's not the correct one use your telephone number (it's the account you made when you got the car).

The car can be bound to only one account so binding it now isn't really an option, unless you ask your MG dealer to release the bind to the previous account. I'd say finding the right account is usually the more sensible course of action.

This is the mg4 forum.
Seeing the number of Zs owners on this thread, should this be moved to the general chat?

There is a thread in General Chat, where I would suggest ZS owners go. The idea of going through this one and moving individual posts about the ZS is causing me to lose the will to live though. So no.

The virtual key is a lot better than the old app as you only put your pin/fingerprint/faceid in once and it's there. It's still a little slow but it works fine but it would be much better if the car detects the Bluetooth ( like on a Tesla) and you don't need to fiddle with the app! If they ever want a update that's what I'd want! But Tesla is market leading when it comes to technology

Well, finally working OK here. Can't say that I'm impressed with the new UI, much prefer the old one. At least it's working, though.

I have not had my car as it was in for paint protection. Came to it today and the app does not work. It had auto updated on my phone.
Login did not work so I recreated account and now I cannot bind.
I go to bind on the app and display the QR on car car but it scans and wants to bind again.
I called MG in BHam and they said speak to local dealer. Get tech ticket created. Car needs a reset
I called MG local who said March is first available appt.

This is not acceptable. anyone know a fix please?

To anyone being asked to bind after update - DO NOT DO THIS! (Not that you can anyway). The car is already bound to an account (not device) - if you login and can't see your car, you're logged in to the wrong account.

You need to login to the ORIGINAL account that you set up in the app - if this was by email and then you added your phone number later (like I did), use the email login; vice versa if you first logged in by phone number. Once you're in to the account and can see the car, the other login mechanism should work - well it does for me.

Ref. digital key and BT LE connection - I can see how that may be true. In which case @Big Al should be able to go up to that other car, unlock it and drive away, as the DK in his app would seem to be linked with the other car.

You shouldn't have to bind the car, that's for new cars / accounts. Is there an option to just login using your email or phone number? After logging in, the car should already be bound to your account. If it isn't, chances are you're using the wrong account. Try logging in with your emailadres or if that's not the correct one use your telephone number (it's the account you made when you got the car).

The car can be bound to only one account so binding it now isn't really an option, unless you ask your MG dealer to release the bind to the previous account. I'd say finding the right account is usually the more sensible course of action.
Thank you.

MASSIVE EDIT INCOMING :)

Last edited:
My app auto updated so when I opened it it was the v2.0.1 version. I entered my telephone number, accepted the Ts&C's, entered my password and I was in. Range indicating Km so switched to Miles. Login held for over 2 hours however no longer showing any mileage figure.

On a side note, ive not used scheduled battery heating ever before, is this something worth using on a very cold morning, before a commute of 20 miles ?
Not really, battery heating is intended to warm the pack before taking on a rapid charge on the move.
When the battery is heated, it allows faster charging times.
Or that’s the idea 💡.

You can enter the email into the phone number field
It even says so in that box before you click on it. :)

Login held for over 2 hours however no longer showing any mileage figure.
I opened the app again just now (after several hours with the phone off) and got straight in. Range also shown in Miles. If no range is showing just drag down on the screen to refresh, and/or click on the 2nd icon to scan the car.

Not really, battery heating is intended to warm the pack before taking on a rapid charge on the move.
When the battery is heated, it allows faster charging times.
Or that’s the idea 💡.
That ... and a warmer pack works more efficiently, so if you can preheat it whilst still plugged in (when temps are very low) you can get it up to a good working temperature and so improve the efficiency without impacting usable range. :)

My app auto updated so when I opened it it was the v2.0.1 version. I entered my telephone number, accepted the Ts&C's, entered my password and I was in. Range indicating Km so switched to Miles. Login held for over 2 hours however no longer showing any mileage figure.
I also logged in with just my phone number only, because I have never entered my e.mail address from the get go !.
Regarding miles not being shown, it’s just a lag I think.
Given the number of people using the server.
Mine did the same this morning, but it has stopped asking my to sign in now !.
If you have not range milage showing on the front screen, just try hitting the health check button at the bottom of the screen.
This will help refresh the App and the milage should appear then.
My display has always shown in miles / imperial ?.

To anyone being asked to bind after update - DO NOT DO THIS! (Not that you can anyway). The car is already bound to an account (not device) - if you login and can't see your car, you're logged in to the wrong account.

You need to login to the ORIGINAL account that you set up in the app - if this was by email and then you added your phone number later (like I did), use the email login; vice versa if you first logged in by phone number. Once you're in to the account and can see the car, the other login mechanism should work - well it does for me.

Ref. digital key and BT LE connection - I can see how that may be true. In which case @Big Al should be able to go up to that other car, unlock it and drive away, as the DK in his app would seem to be linked with the other car.

Thank you!!

I am an idiot.

I do not remember adding an email address to this account, did it in the showroom with phone number……. Or so I thought.

Just tried sending a forgot password reset to my old email address and lo and behold, got a pin to reset, did so, and now I am in.

Combination of me being a a bit slow and I still maintain this MG roll out of the new ISmart app upgrade is utter, utter pants!

All that said, the information you supplied seems to have helped me out enormously, therefore as I said, I am in your debt! (bet you never thought you would hear that from me! 😆, I never thought I would say to you :) )

Credit where credit is due, ‘Guru’

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums