I was going to start a thread about this after the siege I just had but I'll add this here and hopefully it will save people the same hassle.

MG iSmart Binding - SOLVED!

I picked up my MG4 yesterday, was loving it until I couldn't bind my iSmart app so I pissed about with it today until I got it.

The user experience here is not one bit intuitive in my opinion so if you're stuck, do this:
Download the app
On the app register or login
Keep it logged in
On the car infortainment, from the home screen swipe from right to left
Select user
You'll be asked to login do so with the exact credentials you used to register
Do not be fooled by thinking the big QR code for logging in is the QR code to be used for binding - it is not
Once you're logged in, select "Connect Vehicle"
There will be three steps listed here with 2 new QR codes - these are not example QR codes for illustration and are in fact the QR codes needed to bind the car
The one you need is on the right hand side (Step 3)
It's tiny so it's very hard for your phone camera to pick up and if it can't, what worked for me was I took a photo of it and emailed it to myself and scanned it from the zoomed in email
If doing it this way, be quick, the QR code only lasts for a few minutes

I'm a UX designer for a living and I'm well used to exploring and analysing bad software yet that took me probably a solid two hours and probably 10% battery to get to grips with so hopefully this will save someone on here that ordeal .
I have marvel r I just said to dear I can't bind they told me after 1 day u can they unbind the car old users the car was run over 16k before I bought.

Even tho I am annoying to seat in super cold seat even when I make car inside temp at 22ºc still seat is cold as fk I wish mg ismart add thay features as well so I can make my seat chill in cold time

The new app is the worst app I have ever had the misfortune of using - for anything. The older version was bad but this one is even worse. Over 50% of the time the start/stop charge and battery charge limit controls fail and need to be done again. A significant proportion of the time the app will show incorrect details on the charge/milage and that is when it shows anything at all.

It constantly logs out - at seemingly entirely random intervals and even the log in screen has a really poor UI with the tick box underneath the button. I know the tick box is below the button and I still miss it.

Beginning to find this app utterly useless. For maybe 2 weeks now every time I try and do something I get the “remote instruction failed” message.

Deleted and reinstalled. Cleared cache. All the usual tricks. Very frustrating.

Beginning to find this app utterly useless. For maybe 2 weeks now every time I try and do something I get the “remote instruction failed” message.

Deleted and reinstalled. Cleared cache. All the usual tricks. Very frustrating.
It's not you, your phone or your car. It's either MG's servers or bad phone reception or both.

It's at it again, isn't it?

Got home yesterday about 5.30, on 34% charge. Plugged in. At first the app was working and estimated somewhere around 10.30 or 10.45 this morning to be finished. Some time during the evening it started giving me the "The remote control instruction failed, please try again later" and it's not working this morning either.

I presume the car has actually finished charging and balanced by now, but according to the app it's still on only 45% with 66 miles of range, which is where it was last time the app actually worked, about half past eight last night.

Not funny.

It's at it again, isn't it?

Got home yesterday about 5.30, on 34% charge. Plugged in. At first the app was working and estimated somewhere around 10.30 or 10.45 this morning to be finished. Some time during the evening it started giving me the "The remote control instruction failed, please try again later" and it's not working this morning either.

I presume the car has actually finished charging and balanced by now, but according to the app it's still on only 45% with 66 miles of range, which is where it was last time the app actually worked, about half past eight last night.

Not funny.
It’s very likely the charging has taken place though, as this is stored by the car and reflected in the App ( when it’s working okay that is ).
Just checked my App and it’s working okay, never used it yesterday TBH.

It’s gone on “Walk About”.
It will be back in due course 🤣.
I guess you have tried unlocking the car, opening the door and close and relocking it ?.
This sometimes works if the car has not been used for a while 🙄.
It’s as if it goes into a deep sleep and forgets to wake up.
Unlocking / relocking is like kicking the side of the bed 🛌 🤣.

The car drove over 80 miles yesterday, getting home about 5.30. The app stopped working some time after 8.30, while the car was still charging. In fact according to that scan, it wasn't going to finish charging till about 11 am today. I seriously doubt this is a sleeping car.

The car drove over 80 miles yesterday, getting home about 5.30. The app stopped working some time after 8.30, while the car was still charging. In fact according to that scan, it wasn't going to finish charging till about 11 am today. I seriously doubt this is a sleeping car.
Hi Rolfe have you been to and check what the car is saying the App is so unreliable I have stopped using it
Les

Just tried the app and am getting the Remote blah blah message. It was working fine yesterday. I haven't tried unlocking the car.

OK, I just tried to wake the car up the usual way - went into the room that's through the wall from the garage and pressed unlock then lock on the key fob. Nothing doing, still no response from the app.

I'd certainly have been a bit surprised if the car had been asleep, because that would have suggested it had fallen asleep less than four hours after being parked and plugged into the charger.

It's working for me

Screenshot_2024-02-18-16-24-09-994_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg

The App kept rejecting my password, used the same for the last few months - had a ! in it - had to reset and change, rejecting new one with ! in it, removed the ! and it worked. Talk about unsecure!! No special characters at all now? Just make it longer I guess!!

I just went out, unplugged the car and drove it out from the garage. It's now parked on my drive. Finally the app is connecting. But this is bloody ridiculous. It's not a problem with the car being inside because it usually has no problem connecting when the car is in the garage, and indeed it was connecting until after 8.30 last night. It's just completely useless if it won't connect for some random unfathomable reason any time it feels like it.

OK, I just tried to wake the car up the usual way - went into the room that's through the wall from the garage and pressed unlock then lock on the key fob. Nothing doing, still no response from the app.

I'd certainly have been a bit surprised if the car had been asleep, because that would have suggested it had fallen asleep less than four hours after being parked and plugged into the charger.
I have found that when unlocking the car, then opening the front drivers door, can make a difference with relation to other features of the car.
E.G. - If I unlock the car with the fob and stand back, it will automatically relock the car after only a few minutes.
This can be irritating when I am coiling up the type 2 lead after a charge and trying to return the cable to the wall box.
I do understand that the relock feature is a standard feature of the car, but I have found, if I unlock the car with the fob, then open and close the front drivers door, it does not automatically relock the car again and gives me all the time I need to prepare for my drive.
This is why suggested opening the door also.
Of course I have no idea if it makes any difference with regards to fully waking up the car, but there is a difference to a certain behaviour of the car for sure.
Just seen your latest post after moving the car, I don’t think the issue is with the garage, it’s likely that the car has woken up from a deep sleep 🛌.
It made triggered when the drivers door is opened like I said.
The last time my car was used, was about 3.00pm yesterday.
The App is working okay at the moment ( you can see the date and time of day in the top of the photo).

IMG_2762.jpeg

Last edited:
But. (a) the usual method of waking the car up didn't work, and
(b) it stopped responding to the app less than four hours after being driven last, and while it was actively charging.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 494 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back