Morning,

Logged into iSmart this morning (iPhone) and got a message saying update to version 2 as it has major changes.

Went to the App Store and apparently the app isn’t available in my country (UK) Tried to search for an update manually but no luck.

The app is basically bricked now as I can’t clear the please update message to use any features. Anyone else experiencing this?
I’ve deleted the app and started again but can’t get past the log in.I’ve tried to register anew and change passwords without success.The app I’ve downloaded just doesnt provide remote access.Help please!

You can add a password to your saved passwords on iPhone. Just make up a website - I think I typed mg123456.something.co.uk (not exactly that, but you get the idea)
Yes this works on iPhone - I opened Passwords in Settings and added aaMGiSmart.com as website (so it’s the first in list) the phone number (without leading zero) as user name and the password. Then on login for iSmart just touch the password bar on the keyboard and select the aaMGiSmart and it will load the phone number and password each time. A helpful workaround but shouldn’t be needed for a very poor update (or more correctly downdate).

Is it the app? The network? The server?
Well, the old app on my old phone still works perfectly. It's not a network or server issue that's in my control, so as far as I'm concerned this fiasco is 100% down to MG.

Sometimes, it's simply because the car has gone to sleep.
Nope - unlocked and locked many times

Has anyone got this working on Android yet?
I have, but only by unlocking, and powering up the car first to allow it to communiate to back to the cloud. Once I did that, the app started to communicate with the car. It's kept working, but having to login each time, and click to accept the terms and conditions is a pain. At least make it so you only have to accept the t&cs once!

The biggest improvement is the digital key on the Home Screen, seamlessly integrated with the usual network key.

The app will try and connect to the car via Bluetooth as you get near it, and the unlock and lock keys will use the digital key rather than the network.

This is a massive convenience improvement.
Are you using android? I was looking into the permissions on the app on IOS and it doesn't ask for connection to bluetooth. As far as I can see, on IOS you cannot give the app permission unless it requests it. Possibly part of the issue 🤷‍♂️

Air conditioning and seat heating is now separate, haven't tried yet to see if the seats are in the right position.

Mine was in km first but just reselected imperial measurements in the settings to update.
is there a feature for heating the seats? not that is my main concern at the moment wasting my day away trying to unbind the APP which doesn't appear to be available and can't revert to old version :(

Make sure you log in with the correct account. As siteguru already said, the vehicle is bound to an account not to the app itself. When started, some people might've made two accounts, one bound to a phone number, the other to e-mail and then bound the car to one of them. Now that you had to login again, it might be possible you used the wrong account and therefore the bind with the vehicle is gone. So double check that.

If that fails, I would advice you to contact your dealer. They should be able to release the bind on your car so it can be bound again.
I always signed up with an email address. On her advice, I entered this address in the field next to the country code and now it actually works again. Thank you for the clear pointer.
A great forum!

Well, the old app on my old phone still works perfectly. It's not a network or server issue that's in my control, so as far as I'm concerned this fiasco is 100% down to MG.
If the old app works, did you always have two apps working at the same time for the same car?

Edit: never mind im also on KM, must have missed this somehow (but yes it claims its on imperial). Yay another bug.

Edit2: actually I was right originally it does default to miles but only once I get in car (bluetooth syncs/unlocks and refreshes everything)? On first app opening it says km..

Last edited:
Everytime I have to log back in because my token has expired it resets the distance to km, even though when I go to the menu it's listed as imperial....

If the old app works, did you always have two apps working at the same time for the same car?
The old app was worrking fine on the new phone. The old phone was turned off months ago. It was only turned on again when the new version repeatedly failed to work.

Yeah, like others, mine comes up with the "login token expired" after about an hour and requires me to login again. Whilst I was logged in, I enabled biometric login, but it fails to offer that option and I have to enter all my login details again :rolleyes:
Why don't MG just bite the bullet, admit they're crap at programming get real programmers onboard??
It's got to the stage now where I've decided that, while I'll keep this one for a couple of years, my next car will definitely NOT be an MG!!
Yep I’m seeing the same Token error after about 1 hour. I assume this must be a bug otherwise It‘s pointless having facial recognition if you have to relogin every time.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back